Editorial: 2021 Director Elections
Marshal Albright, CCEC President & CEO
It is annual meeting time, an opportunity for members to engage in the cooperative’s operation by voting for directors to serve on the board. This year we have three districts with contested elections.
Our annual meeting will be held in-person on June 24, at the Delta by Marriott; see the back cover for all the details. Eight candidates will be up for election, including the three incumbents currently serving in District 3, District 5 and At-large. If you cannot attend the annual meeting in person and would like to vote, you can contact the office at 701-356-4400 or click the link below to request an absentee ballot.
Directors play an essential role in the governance of the cooperative. The following is a list of duties that directors are required to fulfill.
• Hire, delegate, and appraise the CEO
• Govern through policies and plans
• Comply with director duties and standards of conduct
• Provide direction through a strategic planning process
• Authorize resources consistent with the strategic plan and the long-range financial plan
• Serve as a regulator (setting rates)
• Provide monitoring and oversight of the cooperative
• Demonstrate due diligence through board assessment
• Recognize the impacts of regulatory and legislative issues on the cooperative
• Actively participate in state and national associations to drive public policy that supports electric cooperatives
• Engage co-op members to reach out to local, state, and federal elected officials who support the mission of electric cooperatives
It is your right and privilege as a member/owner of the cooperative to vote for your directors. We are living in uncertain and challenging times in the power industry, and voting for a director that supports your values is more important than ever as we chart our course into the future.
We greatly value our connection to the members we serve. Follow us on social media to stay in-the-know on the latest energy-saving tips, community outreach efforts, power outages, cooperative news, promotions, and more!