All News

Make sure safety is on your holiday menu this year

The kitchen can be a busy place during the holiday season, prepping and preparing favorite recipes (or sampling those favorite recipes).

Whether you are a seasoned cook or novice baker, it’s important to keep electrical safety in mind. In the United States alone, approximately 1,000 deaths occur each year as a result of electrical injuries, according to the National Institutes of Health. An additional non-fatal 30,000 shock incidents occur each year.

The following kitchen hazards may cause electric shock:

  • Damaged or worn electrical cords.
  • Equipment and appliances with improper or faulty wiring.
  • Using damp cloths or water for cooking or cleaning near sources of electricity.

The following tips may prevent electric shock in your home:

  • Always read and follow an appliance’s operating instructions.
  • Always dry your hands before handling cords or plugs.
  • If an unplugged appliance cord gets wet or damp, don’t plug it in until it is thoroughly dry.
  • Do not handle electrical cords or appliances when standing in water.
  • Pull on the plug, not the cord, to disconnect an appliance from an outlet.
  • To avoid damaging cords, don’t run them across walkways or underneath rugs. Draping them over walkways is also a tripping hazard.
  • Regularly inspect electrical cords and plugs for damaged insulation and exposed wiring; immediately discard any damaged item. Avoid using any cord or plug that is frayed, cracked, taped or otherwise questionable.
  • Only handle the insulated part of a plug or cord when disposing it.
  • Do not overload extension cords, multi-pack “power strips” or surge protectors with too many appliances or other items or plug them into each other. Use them only as a temporary solution, and not a permanent one.
  • Ensure extension cords, power strips and surge protectors are in good condition and the appropriate gauge for the job (the lower the number, the bigger the gauge and the greater
  • the amperage and wattage).
  • Never remove the third (round or U-shaped) prong from a plug, which is a grounding/ safety feature designed to reduce the risk of shock and electrocution.
  • If you have doubts about your home’s electrical system, have a licensed electrician evaluate wiring, outlets, and switches to verify they are in working order.
  • Educate yourself and everyone in your household on how to properly turn off your home’s power in case of an emergency.


We greatly value our connection to the members we serve. Follow us on social media to stay in-the-know on the latest energy-saving tips, community outreach efforts, power outages, cooperative news, promotions, and more!

Connect with us!

Facebook    YouTube     Instagram     LinkedIn     Twitter